Worship at the Abbey United Church of Christ is a blended service in the Reformed tradition that touches all ages.
Please come join us.
Brief History of The Abbey Reformed United Church of Christ
We consider the birth of our congregation of the Reformed Church to be in 1806.
The first church building was a log structure on the corner of fifth and Mifflin Streets. The building was completed in 1814 and was dedicated in June of 1818.
The second church building was built on the present day site (purchased for $350) was completed in 1858.
The third building was built in the late 1890’s and dedicated in 1899. The building cost $12,000 of which $9,000 was raised before the building was completed. It took 3 years for the final $3,000 to be raised.
The forth building, which is the present building has much history. The congregation voted for a new church to be built on June 26, 1927. Plans for the new church were prepared by Dr. Ralph Adams Cram. The corner stone was laid in 1928 and the sanctuary was dedicated on May 12, 1929. More information will be available at a later date.
The German Reformed church merged with the Evangelical Synod of North America in 1934 and our church became The Abbey Evangelical and Reformed church. This new denomination stressed liberty of conscience and authority of the Bible.
In 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed joined the Congregational Christian churches to become the United Church of Christ.
The Abbey Reformed United Church of Christ's historic stone building is over 90 years old. It has continued through God's grace as a United Church of Christ for over 60 years (before 1957 being a Reformed Church). From the church's beginning to now, it's history spans over 200 years.
Dr. Ralph Adams Cram was not only the architect of the Abbey but several note worthy structures in the United States, such as:
Cadet Chapel, US Military Academy, West Point, New York
Graduate College, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
Mercersburg Chapel, Mercersburg Adademy, Mercersburg, PA
The Dining Hall, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana